Friday, July 8, 2016
Fluffy Vegan Pancakes
Whether you try to eat vegan, vegetarian, paleo, raw, no carb, gluten-free, liquid only (?), whatever, NO ONE can resist the pull of a thick, soft, delicious pancake. Pancakes may not fit into your diet plan, but they do fit on a plate... and in your mouth... and in your belly.
Here is our take on a classic, fluffy, pancake using vegan ingredients that is 900% amazing.
Here's what you need (Makes about 6-7 pancakes):
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (or whole wheat)
- 3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp. flax seed meal + 2.5 tbsp. water)
- 3 tbsp. melted vegan butter (we use Earth Balance)
Here's what you do:
- Prepare your flax egg in a small dish. Let sit to thicken about 3 minutes.
- Put all of your ingredients into a large bowl and mix it with a whisk. No need to get fancy with sifting your ingredients or a "well" in the middle or anything.
- Scoop the batter with a 1/4 cup measuring cup onto a hot, non-stick griddle or pan.
- This batter is really thick, so you won't be seeing the classic bubbles come up through the batter as it cooks. When the edges look dry, flip them over. (Or you could just peek, no points are lost for checking to see if it's brown enough for you.)
- Soak them in Earth Balance and syrup, and enjoy!
As a side note, I'll typically eat 2 or 3 with the classic vegan butter and syrup combo, then go all out with my 4th which I cover with peanut butter and syrup #treatyoself. Sarah usually eats her last pancake cold and with butter only #boring.
Sarah & Nick
6:33 AM In the Kitchen
- ▼ July (9)
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (106)
The Surznick Common Room participates in various affiliate advertising programs. If you click or make a purchase through select links on this site or related social media accounts, we may receive a commission. Although we participate in these programs, we're committed to keeping this blog 100% us - all opinions are our own.