There is nothing quite like the almighty grilled cheese sandwich. Sarah and I were recently at a restaurant here in Pittsburgh that specializes in gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches, and we fell in love. We knew we could achieve one of our favorites in a delicious, vegan form, and we succeeded! Behold, the Vegan Caprese Sandwich!
This recipe is really all about making this vegan mozzarella (from It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken). We first made it for our Dairy-Free Cheese Pizza, and we couldn't wait to employ it in another recipe. This sandwich was the perfect opportunity, and it did not disappoint!
Here's what you need:
For the cheese:
- 1/4 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tbsp. + 2 tsp. tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
For the sandwich:
- Italian bread
- Fresh basil
- Vegan mozzarella
- Balsamic vinaigrette
For the vinaigrette:
- Balsamic vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper
Here's what you do:
1. Make the cheese:
- Combine all ingredients in a blender, and blend until liquid.
- Heat in a small saucepan on low heat, stirring constantly.
- The mixture will start to form clumps. Continue stirring until thick and stretchy.
2. Make the vinaigrette:
- Combine equal parts red wine vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.
- Add a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Whisk to combine.
3. Assemble the sandwich:
- Cut 2 thick slices of your bread.
- On one slice, brush with the vinaigrette, on the other, add a thick layer of the vegan cheese.
- Top with tomato slices and fresh basil leaves.
- Grill in a hot, buttered skillet to your liking.
Sarah & Nick