Monday, April 25, 2016
DIY Paint Chip Art
Paint chips are the ultimate craft supply - they're versatile, come in tons of colors, and they're free! A couple years ago paint chip crafts were all the rage, but it's been awhile since I've seen them on blogs. I myself haven't made anything with paint chips in awhile either, but this past weekend I wanted to crank out some quick wall art and colorful paint chips were just what I needed!
I picked up these fruit and veggie paintings from a Craigslist "Free Curb Alert" up the street last year. They were the perfect candidate for a makeover. You could use canvas, thrifted art, shoebox lids, you name it!
Here's what you need!
- Frames or canvas of your choice
- Spray paint (optional)
- Paint chips
- Mod Podge (we prefer matte finish)
- Paint brush
- Xacto knife
Here's what you do!
- If desired, spray paint your frames/canvas. We spray painted both the frames and the inserts so we could have a white background to work with. We did two coats, allowing the paint to fully dry in between.
- Meanwhile, cut your paint chips into small squares. I wanted mine to be slightly different in size and imperfect. My inspiration was this image I've had pinned for years (p.s. follow me!)
- Arrange your squares in a pattern you like and then glue them down with your Mod Podge. The edges may curl a bit, so once all your pieces are glued, flip your art over onto a sheet of wax paper and weigh it down with heavy books. Let it press for an hour.
- Use an Xacto knife to trim the paint chips that hang over the edge of the canvas.
- Add a coat of Mod Podge onto the top of your art. Allow to fully dry and again flip your art over onto a sheet of wax paper and weigh it down with heavy books. Let it press for an hour.
- Insert your finished art into your frame and display it!
Have you created any paint chip crafts? What are your favorites?
Sarah & Nick
8:00 AM Get Crafty
- Surznick Reads: April 2016
- Homemade Breakfast Granola
- DIY Paint Chip Art
- ASOS Shoes Under $50
- Stovetop Vegan Cornbread
- Lately... (VI)
- Cozy Knit Sweater
- 30 Day Yoga Challenge
- White Spritz Cocktail
- Bright, White Kitchen Inspiration
- Sarah Style: Fascino Boutique
- Vegan Loaded Nachos
- Our 10 Favorite Crafty Projects + Real Talk
- ▼ April (13)
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (106)
The Surznick Common Room participates in various affiliate advertising programs. If you click or make a purchase through select links on this site or related social media accounts, we may receive a commission. Although we participate in these programs, we're committed to keeping this blog 100% us - all opinions are our own.