Happy second day of spring, everyone! Do you know what you're supposed to eat on the second day of spring? ... Correct! PIZZA. Technically, you're supposed to eat pizza every day, but especially today, because we have a delicious vegan cheese pizza recipe for you!
This dairy-free mozzarella cheese recipe is going to come in handy for all sorts of recipes! First up: Pizza. Let's do it.
Here's what you need:
For the cheese (recipe via It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken):
- 1/4 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tbsp. + 2 tsp. tapioca flour (or tapioca starch)
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
For the crust:
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 packet dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
Here's what you do:
For the cheese:
- Soak your cashews overnight and drain the next day.
- Add drained cashews and all other ingredients to a blender and blend it! (It will be completely liquid.)
- Pour your liquid mixture into a small sauce pan.
- Heat over medium heat on the stove, stirring constantly.
- Lumps will begin to form, but keep stirring, and soon a smooth, creamy, gooey texture will form.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
For the pizza:
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Dissolve your yeast in the warm water.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl, mix with a spoon until formed into a large dough ball. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface, and gently knead until smooth.
- Gently stretch/press into a greased cookie sheet or pizza pan.
- Top with sauce, dollop with cheese, and add any other toppings you may want!
- Place in oven for 18-22 minutes, until you achieve your desired crust.
I'd call our first attempt at making this vegan mozzarella a success, but there is a lot more to try! We're going to continue working with this base recipe, and see where else we can take it!
Sarah & Nick