It's not often that I have a day off from work, yet Nick still has school. Days where I'm home alone are always super productive for me, and I almost always squeeze some baking in. That's the story with these (vegan) banana crumb muffins from Minimalist Baker!
I tried out this recipe a couple months ago and they turned out SO good. They're simple to make, we always have the ingredients on hand, and that crumb topping just puts them over the edge. If you haven't already started checking your cabinets for the ingredients, you can go start now. It's no problem. I'll wait.
Here's what you need! (Recipe via Minimalist Baker, slightly modified by us)
- 2 flax eggs (1 flax egg = 1 tbsp. flax seed meal + 2.5 tbsp. water)
- 4 bananas (we've used both ripe and frozen (thawed) bananas)
- 1/2 heaping cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 5 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. vegan butter
Here's what you do!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease muffin tin.
- Add flax eggs to a large bowl and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Add bananas. Mash with fork/beaters and mix with hand-mixer until only a little texture remains.
- Add in brown sugar, baking soda, and sea salt. Mix with hand or stand mixer.
- Add in melted butter, vanilla, flour, and oats. Mix until just blended.
- Fill muffin tin until cups are about 3/4 full. You should be able to make 10-12 muffins.
- Either wipe batter bowl, or in a small bowl, add coconut sugar, flour, and vegan butter to create crumb topping. We find it easiest to combine with our fingers. Generously top each muffin.
- Bake for 17-22 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm! Store leftovers in an airtight container.
We hope that you make these muffins immediately because you will NOT regret it! Have a happy Monday!
Sarah & Nick
P.S. Want more Common Room? Sign up to receive a recap of our weekly posts, sneak peeks, and more in your inbox every Sunday!
Subscribe to our Sunday Funday weekly newsletter!