Searching around the internet for a vegan egg nog recipe is seriously frustrating. (Someone needs to tell the world that if you have eggs in a recipe, it's not vegan!) That being said, we found one that sounded promising and we decided to give it a try. First off, let me just say, this is very yummy.
Second, let me just say, this doesn't really taste like egg nog. Rather than a vegan egg nog substitute, you should approach this recipe as an egg nog alternative - something thick, creamy, similarly spiced, and delicious for the holidays that will satisfy your yearly egg nog fix.
What you need: (recipe via from Fork and Beans)
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups water
- 1 banana, sliced and frozen
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted (use refined oil to avoid coconut flavor)
- 1 tbsp. agave syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg (or to taste)
What you do:
- Soak the cashews in water for at least 2 to 3 hours.
- Drain the cashews from the water and place into a high speed blender or food processor.
- Add 2 cups of water and blend until smooth/milky.
- Add all remaining ingredients until well combined.
- Add additional cinnamon or nutmeg to taste.
- Pour into a glass, top with ground nutmeg, and enjoy!
This recipe will make about 2 large glasses (as pictured). And of course, once you drink your glass down a bit, don't be afraid to top it off with a little whiskey or rum!
I know I miss a good glass of egg nog, so I hope this recipe helps quench your thirst for something rich around the holidays.
Sarah & Nick