Summer is finally winding down. For some, that may be a sad truth, but for Sarah and I, it is the most exciting time of the year. For us, summer is one long, torturous heat battle that we lose year after year. But anyway, we figured that Labor Day was the perfect time to say "sayonara!" to summer with one last tasty, summery meal on the grill. Found in The Broad Fork cook book, this grilled corn salad is the perfect summer dish using fresh ingredients for some out of this world flavor!
Here's what you need:
- 4 ears of corn
- 2 jalapeño peppers (original recipe calls for red, we used green)
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 cup fresh basil, torn into pieces
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
Here's what you do:
- If using a charcoal grill, prepare your coals. Make sure they're good and hot before you begin.
- Remove corn husks from your corn.
- Brush your corn and jalapeños with olive oil and season with sea salt. Place directly on the grate of your grill.
- Grill for 5-20 minutes, turning often to evenly grill the corn. The jalapeños may need to be removed before the corn. Once the peppers begin to char, take them off of the grill and let them cool.
- Once your corn is grilled to your satisfaction, remove and let cool a bit before handling.
- Using a knife, cut the kernels off of the corn cob and finely chop your peppers. (We removed the seeds to help keep the heat down, but it's up to you depending on how much spice you like - this dish is still pretty hot without the seeds!)
- In a medium bowl, mix together the corn and the peppers.
- Tear your basil into small pieces and add to bowl. Add lime juice and toss to combine.
Fresh, spicy, sweet, and AMAZING. I'm sure I probably say this often, but this has got to be one of my favorite dishes we've ever put on this blog. My summer could have been a lot better if we had decided to make this sooner. I am absolutely pleased with this recipe and it will definitely be added to our summer picnic dish arsenal!
We hope everyone had a nice long holiday weekend, and here's to the next (and best) season of the year!
Sarah & Nick