I am a bit of a peanut butter freak. Or rather, I'm a complete and total peanut butter freak. I think I'd put peanut butter on just about anything if Sarah would let me. (Ok, maybe not everything, but I try to sneak it in where I can.) Luckily for me, while browsing Minimalist Baker, I stumbled across the answer to my peanut butter breakfast prayers: Peanut Butter Chocolate Granola!
Here's what you need:
- 3 cups + 2 tbsp. rolled oats
- 2 tbsp. sugar (we used coconut sugar, but you could use cane sugar or granulated)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (you could also use grape seed or olive oil)
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup agave nectar (you could also use maple syrup or honey, if you're into that)
- 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips (we used Enjoy Life mini chips)
Here's what you do:
- Preheat oven to 340 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine your oats and sugar; set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, melt together the peanut butter, coconut oil, and agave.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture over your oats and mix well.
- Spread evenly into two cookie sheets.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. After 10 minutes, stir to make sure they brown evenly. Check every few minutes after that to make sure they're not burning. (The more they brown, the quicker they brown, so keep a close eye on them!)
- After you take the oats out of the oven, allow them to cool completely before adding in your chocolate chips. (The recipe calls for 1/3 cup chocolate chips, but if you're like me, you'll be standing over the bowl secretly adding more and more chips while your girlfriend isn't looking...)
We like to enjoy this in a bowl with some almond milk, or to just munch as a dry snack. It has a fantastic, rich taste that I just absolutely love! Next time we make this, we're definitely doubling it... or tripling it--I can't seem to get enough of the classic peanut butter and chocolate combo!
Sarah & Nick