Happy weekend, everyone! We're back again with another project that we think would make a great gift idea for someone special this holiday season (less than three weeks to go - can you believe it?!) If you've missed our other ideas, you can catch them here, here, here, oh and here.
I'm a firm believer that everyone should have a set of wine glasses. Even if you think, "Blah! Ew, wine!" I still think it's necessary. You can find pretty inexpensive wine glasses and they're a great blank canvas for decorating as you wish! What's not to like?!
A few years ago I made a set of Anthropologie-inspired confetti speckled tumblers to house the q-tips and cotton balls in our bathroom by using nail polish and sealing them with clear spray paint. I've been eager to try this technique again on drinking glasses that would be food-safe and dishwasher-safe. Wine glasses are the perfect candidate!
Here's what you need!
- Stemless wine glasses (we used these)
- Permanent markers (we used these)
- Dishwasher-safe Mod Podge
- Paint brush
Here's what you do!
- Choose the colors you want to use on your glasses. We made a set of two red-orange-yellow glasses and two green-blue-purple glasses.
- Using each color, draw dots all over the flat bottom and the bottom 1/3 of your glasses.
- Pick 2-3 colors that you'd like to continue up your glass and begin fading the confetti. Draw dots all over the bottom 2/3 of the glass with those colors.
- Pick 1 color to add sporadic dots towards the top of the glass. Be careful to leave at least 3/4" at the top for drinking.
- Next, use a paint brush to coat the glasses with dishwasher-safe Mod Podge. Only Mod Podge up to the top of the dots. You do not want the Mod Podge to reach the top of the glass, as it is not food-safe.
- After the first coat has completely dried, add a second coat.
- Drink drink drink!
Seriously, how beautiful are these?! Though they're a little time consuming and your hand may get tired, they're really easy to make. I planned on making these only as gifts, but full disclosure, I'm keeping a set for myself because I just love them. (And more wine glasses on hand is never a bad thing!)
So in addition to being beautiful and easy to make, I love how versatile this project is too. You can choose from a variety of colors, and if the confetti style isn't your thing, you can make stripes or any other pattern you want!
Since we're only confetti-ing the bottom of the glasses and the marker and Mod Podge won't reach your mouth or (that delicious wine), they're safe to drink out of. AND since we coated these in that special dishwasher-safe Mod Podge, they can be put in your dishwasher too! I always prefer to hand-wash wine glasses anyway since they're fragile, but it's nice knowing the dishwasher is an option! Unfortunately our dishwasher is currently broken (wah wah wahhh) so we couldn't test that out, but the Mod Podge bottle states they are safe for the top rack!
Have I convinced you guys to make these yet? If wine isn't your thing, give it a try on regular drinking glasses! Be sure to let us know if you give these a go and tag us in your Instagram photos - we'd love to see your creations!
Before we go - have you entered our Forever 21 gift card giveaway?! Myself and the lovely ladies who collaborated on our last post have teamed up to give away a $75 Forever 21 gift card! To enter, find the photo below on my Instagram account (@sawissinger), follow each blogger and tag 3 friends in the comments! That's all, yo!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Sarah & Nick