Wednesday, November 26, 2014
DIY Vinyl Record Bowls
In the past, we've done a lot of projects that we could consider "easy," and we've done a lot that we consider "cheap." These homemade vinyl record bowls easily top both of those lists.
Here's what you need: (or rather, what we used. You have a lot of wiggle room to make this happen)
- Vinyl Records (we used 3 different sizes)
- Cookie sheet
- Empty tin can
- Bowls of various sizes (to match with whatever size vinyls you are using.)
Here's what you do:
- Preheat your oven to 225 degrees.
- Clean up your records as best as you can.
- Set your records on top of whatever you will use to shape them into bowls. You'll want something to hold them up high enough to let the edges fall, but skinny enough to hold them only in the middle.
- Place them in the heated oven on a cookie sheet.
- After about 3-5 minutes in the oven, you should see them softening, and the edges start to fall.
- Once you see them drooping, if you feel it is happening unevenly or anyway not to your liking, take them out and (protecting your hands with an oven mitt or towel) shape them into your desired bowl shape. The records only take about 20-30 seconds to stiffen up once out of the oven, so you need to act fast!
- You may need to repeat the process until you achieve your desired bowl shape.
That's it! We could essentially use these bowls for anything! We may house our car keys in them near our front door, they may serve as good storage for loose jewelry items on a dresser. They would even be great for popcorn on the couch! (Full disclosure: we tried to dig around online to see if they are food safe and we came up with some mixed reviews. As a precaution, we lined our popcorn bowl with a paper towel.)
I really like the shapes of these bowls. I love that you don't have 100% control of how it will turn out, and the result is that each bowl turns out unique and interesting. But, do you want to know my favorite part about this project? The cost. Grand total, these bowls cost us $1.50!! (Goodwill is always stocked to the brim with old, random records! $0.50/each!)
So what do you think? Don't forget that the holidays are upon us! These would make a great, simple, (affordable!) gift for a loved one or friend!
Sarah & Nick
4:54 PM Get Crafty
- ► 2016 (122)
- ► 2015 (131)
- ▼ November (9)
The Surznick Common Room participates in various affiliate advertising programs. If you click or make a purchase through select links on this site or related social media accounts, we may receive a commission. Although we participate in these programs, we're committed to keeping this blog 100% us - all opinions are our own.