Thursday, October 9, 2014
Breakfast Tofu Scramble
As many of you may or may not know, I happen to be dating and living with a woman that was, for the vast majority of her life, obsessed with eggs. I can't tell you how many times I've heard her say, "Eggs are my everything," or some variation of that. That being said, choosing to give up meat and dairy products to the best of our ability recently has put quite a damper on Sarah's egg intake. Therefore, the search for a delicious vegan option was on, and though it is still early in our hunt, this is by far the best Tofu Scrambled Egg recipe we've found so far!
Here's what you need:
- 1 block (16 oz.) firm or extra firm tofu
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast (found in the baking aisle, comes in a shakeable container)
- 1/2 red or yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- Anything else you'd want to sauté into a breakfast scramble!
Here's what you do:
- Clean and dice your onion and bell pepper and any other veggies/toppings you'll be putting in the scramble.
- Drain and press your tofu (we wrap ours in papertowels and place a cast iron skillet on it). Then, cut it into about 1 inch cubes to be crumbled into your frying pan.
- Add crumbled tofu, peppers, onions, and 2 tbsp. oil in a large frying pan.
- Sauté until vegetables reach desired tenderness.
- Add remaining spices, yeast, and soy sauce.
- Cook on stove top for 5-10 more minutes, stirring often.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Feel free to add more garlic or onion powder, too. (I usually do!)
And that's it! Fairly quick and super easy, this is a fantastic, satisfying substitute to a morning helping of scrambled eggs and veggies! And of course, it is completely customizable. Add in anything you want! If you would have asked me 6 months ago how I felt about tofu, I'm absolutely certain I would have just walked away from you. Now? I love it, and I love discovering all the incredible, delicious meals I can make with it!
Sarah & Nick
5:48 PM In the Kitchen
- ► 2016 (130)
- ► 2015 (131)
- ▼ October (8)
The Surznick Common Room participates in various affiliate advertising programs. If you click or make a purchase through select links on this site or related social media accounts, we may receive a commission. Although we participate in these programs, we're committed to keeping this blog 100% us - all opinions are our own.