Wednesday, June 18, 2014
Chipotle Black Bean Casserole
Any recipe involving black beans, rice, and cheese is definitely a keeper in the Surznick kitchen and this Chicken and Black Bean Casserole from Six Sisters' Stuff is no exception. We've made this recipe numerous times now, but this past time we decided to switch things up a bit to make a meatless version with chipotle salsa!
Chipotle Black Bean Casserole (adapted from Six Sisters' Stuff)
Here's what you need!
- 1 cup uncooked rice (white or brown)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 an onion, chopped
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- Cumin, salt & pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 15 oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chipotle salsa (adjust to your spice preference)
- 1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Here's what you do!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a glass pie dish.
- Cook your rice in the vegetable broth, according to package directions.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook onion and zucchini until onion is tender and zucchini is slightly browned. Season with your spices.
- In a large bowl, mix together onion, zucchini, black beans, chipotle salsa, and 1 cup of cheese. Transfer into your pie dish and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes until casserole is bubbly and lightly browned.
You can serve this as is or top with a little plain Greek yogurt or sour cream! I like the touch of spiciness that the chipotle salsa adds. We decided to eat our leftovers in tortilla shells which was super delicious as well!
This recipe was the perfect size for two meals for each of us, but I love that it can easily be doubled if you're serving a larger group of people. Think you'll make this for your friends and family soon?
Sarah & Nick
Remember to follow us on Bloglovin or Google!
6:09 PM In the Kitchen
- ► 2016 (130)
- ► 2015 (131)
- ▼ June (7)
The Surznick Common Room participates in various affiliate advertising programs. If you click or make a purchase through select links on this site or related social media accounts, we may receive a commission. Although we participate in these programs, we're committed to keeping this blog 100% us - all opinions are our own.